Friday, April 5, 2013

Artist Hiromi Okumura Reception April 7, 2013 at Dahmen Barn in Uniontown, Washington


"Space, Energy and Movement" is April exhibit at the Dahmen Barn

The month of April visual and performing artist Hiromi Okumura will exhibit abstract paintings and have a short performance during the opening reception at Artisans at the Dahmen Barn in Uniontown. Hiromi lives in Pullman, Washington and is currently teaching fine arts at Washington State University. Her paintings are bright, bold and very energetic. The opening reception is Sunday, April 7th 1:00pm-3:00pm and the exhibit continues through April 28 during regular open hours.

Says Hiromi:

"In my art making, process of physicality is as important, often more important, as the followed result. Viewers frequently asked me what I was feeling and thinking while painting. “Energy, space and movement” as my theme, it made perfect sense when I started to make an installation of layered projection of the movement of colors. Also from a perspective as a dancer, it made an excellent sense to make drawings and paintings using your entire body, because that is how I make my art. And I love viewers to experience my art and share the process of art making.  I want viewers to experience my art at an emotional level. I want viewers to be more than viewers; I like them to be participants in the dance. I would like them to get into my painting and I want my art to be a part of their lives."
Artisans at the Dahmen Barn is a non-profit creativity center in Uniontown on highway 195 in the big white barn behind the famous iron wheel fence.  The facility, open Thursday through Sunday from 10 am to 6 pm, is fully accessible and has no daily admission fee.  Information: 
www.artisanbarn.org or 509-229-3414.

No comments:

Post a Comment