Monday, November 21, 2011

Jack Broom, Seattle Times Staff Reporter, Features Endicott, Wash.

From the Editor,

Readers are always asking editors, "Where do you get your stories?" The easy answer is, "From people, organizations, and businesses that send them in."

However, a few of the articles in this newspaper come from the need to find information. I admit, though, that I love surfing the web, and I'm always curious, which I've learned is a great combination that leads me to all sorts of undreamed of wonders!

Most evenings, after dinner I'm relaxed in my lounger with my laptop on laptop-desk. I check my email for the latest news, format and edit whatever news someone sends me, and then publish the article.

When announcements of upcoming events arrive without a street address of where the event will take place, if I can't locate the address myself, I publish the story, and then email the sender to ask for the address so I can publish it ASAP.

Usually, impatience leads me to check Towns (page), in hopes the town's website will contain the street address I want, or I check the paper's archives. Sometimes I'm lucky. Other times, like this evening, I surf the web, and now and then, stumble on a wonderful story about a Palouse town, and the need to share overtakes me.

Tonight's treasure is a story about Endicott that portrays the rural culture as well as the town. "A one-store town struggles to keep sense of community," By Jack  Broom, Seattle Times staff reporter. published in The Seattle Times, Local News.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Mona Vanek


No comments:

Post a Comment