Friday, February 3, 2012

Calling All Tatters on the Palouse


Jan Barwick, a demonstrator at 2011 Southeast Spokane County Fair in Rockford, Wash., belongs to Shuttlebirds Tatting Guild in Spokane, Wash. Although Barwick, who lives in Athol, Idaho, said she doesn't know tatters in the Palouse region, she chatted with many at the fair.
It was a fun time for Barwick, who recalled one conversation vividly.
"Some said that a grandmother or mother or aunt tatted, but that they could not tat," she said in a recent interview. "I really enjoyed demonstrating and talking to all the wonderful people that came by the needle work area at the SESC fair."

Barwick also demonstrated at the Heritage fair at the historic Cataldo Mission, located a mile east of Cataldo, Idaho, and at Spokane Falls Community College. The Guild also had a booth at the Spokane Fair in September where members demonstrate tatting.
"I had an elderly gentleman tell me that his late wife tatted. While he was talking he got a very far away look in his eyes, as if he was seeing her again tatting," she said.
Barwick began tatting in 1984.

"Tatting is a very old art used to make a form of lace. In about 1868, Mlle.Riego finalized the basic form that we have today. Tatting was also called knotting in the past. The Victorians were very adamant about keeping the hands busy and tatting filled that bill," she said.
"I was taught by an elderly aunt. One of my grandmothers, and a mother-in-law, had tried to teach me, but both failed. My aunt succeeded. While I stood behind my aunt's chair, she had me watch her hands closely. I finally learned. However, I still tie an occasional knot (knots won't slip) and have to take them out and redo the stitch," she said.

"I was too late for the annual workshop but I joined and was very happy to find other tatters in this area. I also found a small group that meet every Wednesday in CoeurD'Alene, Idaho, at Harmony Yarns. We also belong to the Guild in Spokane."


While searching the Internet for tatting patterns last March she found Shuttlebirds Tatting Guild. Asked to suggest a title for this interview, because she's so enthusiastic about letting people know about an upcoming workshop this spring, Barwick promptly said, "Calling all tatters in the Palouse" or "Wanted: tatters or would-be tatters."

Barwick has every intention of demonstrating her art form again at the 2012 SESC fair in Rockford, September 21, 22 & 23, 2012.
"Our annual workshop will be held April 20 and 21, 2012 in Spokane Valley, Wash. There is much to learn and see and experience at the workshop," she said. "There will be venders with threads, beads, shuttles and books and much more. And of course, plenty of talk about tatting! There are classes on Friday and Saturday."

No comments:

Post a Comment